Saturday, March 8, 2014

My Hair Experiment

I recently discovered baking soda and apple cider vinegar to replace shampoo and I am getting the most amazing results!  I have to share my experience with you guys!
Ever since I realized that Abbie had wavy hair we have fought with the rats' nest in the back of her hair.
I've tried everything to tame it.  I tried the extra moisturizing baby shampoo, leaving conditioner in her hair, and finally my sister told me about Wen.  No, I didn't buy Wen.  I hate buying something that I am not sure isn't going to work, but when my mom picked up Hair One, and I was able to try it, I realized this would work for Abbie.  Her hair was beautiful and wavy and smelled so good.
Well, if it worked for Abbie, maybe it would work for me.  My hair may not be long, but it is straight and limp.  If I don't wash it everyday it gets so greasy.  I knew I wouldn't be able to leave the Hair One in my hair or it would be really greasy in the morning so I just rinsed for a long time.  After two days my hair looked really good, but my back didn't.  The Hair One was making my back break out really bad.  I couldn't win for losing.  After a week of trying Hair One I had to switch back to my regular shampoo and hope my back would heal up.  
During the winter I didn't bother to really fix my hair.  I just wore it to school straight.  I mean it can't get any easier than straight, but now that it's warming up I just feel like fixing my fair.  So I started using root lifter and shampoo and giving my hair lots of volume.  But guess what!  Now my scalp is breaking out from all of the stuff I was putting in it.  REALLY!
I started researching alternatives to shampooing and learned about baking soda and apple cider vinegar.  It can't hurt to try, right?!
On a school night I leaned over the bathroom since and rubbed 1 tablespoon of baking soda in my hair.  I couldn't help but think, "How the heck is this supposed to clean my hair."  It didn't feel like it was doing any good.  It of course didn't lather up and didn't feel anything like I am accustomed to.  I rinsed the the baking soda out and my hair felt so soft.  The vinegar smelled up my whole bathroom.  PWEW!  How was I going to go to school in the morning with my hair smelling so bad?    I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed!!!  I made my husband smell my hair and he said it was fine.  I dried it and it was so shiny, soft, and full of body.  In the morning I didn't have to put any root lifter in my hair.  It was just so full.  I couldn't get over how full it was!  I ran the straightener through it and turned the ends under.  The kids at school kept asking me about my hair.  Did I get it cut?  Did I color it?  It looks so good.  They made me feel like a million dollars and all I had done was washed my hair with baking soda and vinegar.  The next morning my hair still looked gorgeous and full and was still turned under.  I ran a brush through it and that was it.  I didn't have to do anything to it.  So after a week of using baking soda and vinegar it looks like I can skip days with this new regimen and won't have to worry at all about it being greasy or needing to be fixed.
Two days ago I bought Abbie a new bottle of Hair One.  I was going to use it on her hair tonight, but decided after I put her in the tub to try out the baking soda and vinegar.  I might have gotten some vinegar in her mouth and eye and she might have cried a little bit, but her hair was tangle free when I got her out.  Her hair was so soft and shiny.  I have never seen it look so gorgeous.  I can't get over how beautiful her hair looks!
 You've got to see the difference between her rats nest that I am used to seeing and what her hair looks like with the baking soda and vinegar!
This is Abbie the morning after her first wash:


And this was the old normal.  Abbie on Christmas morning:



No comments:

Post a Comment